How much you bet is up to you and your budget. A good rule of thumb is…
This is the 6th tip in our series, “How to Play Blackjack: 21 Winning Tips.” If you would like to view these tips offline and at your leisure, just click for the Myrtle Beach location.
…to bet what you can afford.
The art of betting is best stated by a poet whose pseudonym is Summner A. Ingmark:
A gambler who bets small parts of his poke,
Will neither get rich nor go away broke.
In other words – you gotta be IN IT to WIN IT and here’s how you do it:
Getting Your Chips:
- Put your money on the table and ask the dealer for chips (Red $5, Green $25) – Do Not hand your money directly to the dealer.
- Organize and stack your chips in front of you in small to large denominations so it’s easier to keep track of your funds.
Placing Your Blackjack Bet:
- Place your bet in front of you, making sure not to exceed the minimum or maximum for that table.
- Make sure to make your bet before the the dealer starts dealing.
- No more bets can be accepted once the dealer starts dealing the cards.
- If you miss this, you are basically sitting out this hand and you will not be dealt any cards.
- Once the cards are dealt, review your cards and the dealer’s face-up card. Based on your preferred strategy, you will need to make the decision to:
- Hit – Get another card, no additional betting required.
- Stand – Hold with no more cards, no additional betting required.
- Double Down – Double your bet and get only one card. Place your doubled bet amount to the left of your first bet.
- Split – Can only be done when you have pairs. Double your bet and split the pairs up, thus playing 2 Blackjack hands. The dealer will deal you 2 new cards to go with your split pairs. Then follow the same betting strategy for each Blackjack hand. Place your doubled bet amount to the left of your first bet.
Once everyone has had a chance to Hit, Stand, Double, and/or Split – the dealer will take his card that’s face-down and reveal it to all the players.
If the total value in your hand is higher than the dealer’s hand (without going over 21) – YOU’RE A WINNER! You’ll also win if the dealer busts which simply means that the value in his hand exceeds 21 (provided you didn’t bust).
If you tie the dealer this is called a “Push” and you neither win nor lose. At this point you can either take back your Blackjack bet or use it for the next hand.
If you find yourself at a Casino that offers side betting, then you have the option of betting on the dealer’s or another player’s hand in addition to your own hand.
“How to Play Blackjack – 21 Winning Tips” is also available as a free eBook.