Because Let It Ride is basically a derivation of 5-Card stud poker, the terminology used is mostly the same.
This is the ninth installment of “How to Play Let It Ride, Cowboy” which can be downloaded for free from bigmcasino.com.
Below is a glossary of some of the most common poker terms used in 5-Card Stud, as well as Let It Ride.
Basic Five Card Stud Terminology
- Hole Card – The card dealt face down to each player.
- Third Street – The third card dealt face up on the table to all players.
- Fourth Street – The fourth card dealt face up on the table to all players.
- Fifth Street – The fifth card dealt face up on the table to all players.
- Pot – The total money the player with the best hand will win.
- Bet – Put money in the pot.
- Check – Choose not to bet when nobody has bet before you.
- Call – Put money equal to another player’s bet in the pot to stay in the hand.
- Raise – Increase the amount of money other players have to pay to stay in hand.
- Pot Odds – Mathematically figure out if it is profitable for you to call a bet.
- Rags – A bad hand without much chance of winning.
- Bluffing – Betting/Raising to make other players fold when you have Rags.
- Bad Beat – Losing a pot to a great hand when you have a really good hand.
Definitions of Common Hold Cards and Hands
- Boat – Full House (e.g. 7, 7, 7, 10, 10).
- Trips – Three of a Kind (e.g. 8, 8, 8).
- On a Draw – Need helpful cards in following rounds to make a good hand.
- Limit – Bets and raises are fixed – can only bet the determined limit.
- Pot Limit – Bets cannot exceed the amount of money in the pot.
- No Limit – Any player can bet any amount at any point in the hand.
On a Draw Detailed
- Open Ended Straight Draw – your hand contains 4 cards in sequence, such as 5, 6, 7, 8 – either a 4 or a 9 will give you a straight.
- Inside Straight Draw– your hand contains one missing card inside the middle of a straight such as 4, 5, 7, 8 – only a 6 will give you a straight.
- Flush Draw – You have four of one suit, you need a fifth for a flush.
- Outs – The number of cards which could appear in the following rounds to make your hand good – If you have four hearts you have 9 outs, or 9 hearts left in the deck which will give you a flush – see the Pot Odds Lesson.
Now since you know the poker terms, it is time to brush up on poker game Let it Ride! Just download our FREE eBook (right). Then join us for one of our cruises on the Myrtle Beach Big “M” Casino Ship departing from Little River, South Carolina.
Our cruises have Las Vegas Style Gaming with high hand-paid jackpots, as well as a superb buffet! Make your reservations now. Contact us online or call us at 843-249-9811 & 877-250-LUCK!
See you soon!